Skip to main content

Things Not To Say To Autistic People


 

In honour of Autism Acceptance Month, here are six phrases to stop using when it comes to autism and autistic people.

1. Functioning Labels 

The majority of autistic people find functioning labels offensive because it’s usually how someone with a stereotypical idea of autism sees us. Autism is not a linear spectrum, and functioing labels are at best inaccurate and worst offensive. You’d also get annoyed if people asked you what type of non-autistic you were. (See below.)

2. You don't look Autistic.

Representations in the media are often inaccurate and offensive. In saying this you are projecting your idea of autism onto me. There are an estimated 7 million people with autism in the UK alone, it would be a bit odd if we all looked the same.  

Also, what does Autism look like? 

3. Special Ability

I'm not magic. Wish I was, do you know how awesome that would be. But I’m not.
I’m not ‘special’, I’m autistic. Autism and Autistic are not bad words, you can say them. 

4. We're all a little Autistic.

No. No. No. 

Autism is a neurological condition that effects how a brain is wired. You can't be a little autistic. All this phrase does is let me know that all you know about autism probably comes from stereotypical ideas about what autism is. It's also usually accompanied by something invalidating. 

I understand that its usually said to connect and make me feel better, but it doesn’t.There are other ways to connect with me. Try them.

5. Do you want a cure?

No. I like who I am. To ‘cure’ me you’d have to re-wire my brain. Meaning that I wouldn’t be me. And I like me.

6. Aspergers

It has not been a medical term since 2013 and was removed due to it no longer being an accurate term for those with autism spectrum disorder. Just use the word autistic. 

Also, Hans Asperger was a Nazi and public supporter of eugenics, and actively participated with the Nazi’s child ‘euthanasia’ program.


It is up to the individual autistic person in how we wish to describe our autism.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shang-Chi Marks A New And Exciting Phase For The MCU

In 2008 the Marvel Cinematic Universe launched itself onto screens around the world with Iron Man . Now in 2021 Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings launches its first Asian lead.                                                                                                                                                       Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings introduction to the MCU was rocked by a global pandemic, viewed as experimental by Disney, and lacked the same promotion given to its predecessors. Yet, it has proved itself to be a fan favourite and one of Marvel’s most cinematically exciting films. Simu-Lu portrays the first Asian superhero and guides audiences through Shang-Chi’s journey in accepting his past, embracing his family and the power that comes with owning the ten rings.   Family Held The Movie Together  Shang-Chi is a movie driven by family dynamics and here Marvel managed to write siblings who felt realistic, without killing off one of the

Puzzle Piece vs Infinity Symbol

  Both the infinity symbol and the puzzle piece have been used as a symbol for the Autistic community, and yet represent very different attitudes towards Autism.  The puzzle piece was first used in the UK in 1963 by the Autism Society, (although they no longer use this image), chosen and designed by non-autistic people. The original puzzle piece included a weeping child to show how autistic people apparently suffered from their conditions and to reflect how autism was seen as puzzling. It represents the idea that autistic people have missing pieces, are puzzles to be solved, and that autism is a childish disability. Each of which is a harmful stereotype.  Nowadays the puzzle piece is associated with Autism Speaks, which is seen as a hate group by the majority of autistic people. Autism Speaks has yet to show that it has autistic peoples interests in mind, rather than promoting cures and harmful stereotypes about autism, among many other harmful things.  Whereas, the infinity symbol, as

Introduction to ExitPursuedByBear

Who Am I? I am Meg. A twenty-one year old student, recent English Literature and Creative Writing BA graduate, who is preparing to start an MA in Early Modern Literature. My time is spent reading, studying, watching theatre adaptations, writing and sleeping. A little more about me is that my favourite book is Doctor Thorne by Antony Trollope. My favourite film is The Princess Bride. Doctor Who is my favourite TV series, with Sherlock and Leverage vying for second place. Exit The King , The Tempest, and Henry VIII make up my favourite plays. Ivor Gurney my favourite poet and Evelyn de Morgan my favourite artist. Oh and I'm A-Spec. What Will I Write About? This blog will be made up of posts about theatre productions, literature reviews, character analysis, Shakespeare adaptations, with a few artwork analysis thrown in for fun. Why I Adore Shakespeare? When I was nine I went to see A Midsummer Night’s Dream with my family. It was the first time I’d ever seen Sh